Monday, November 14, 2011

The Hunger Games

I read the Hunger Games in the middle of last year, my eighth grade year, and I was immediately captivated. I remember sitting in math everyday reading instead of doing my homework. It was so intense, I actually couldn't read it before I went to sleep. It was that good.

When it was announced that a movie was being made from the books, I was ecstatic. Sure, movies from books aren't always good, but I was still so excited. I would spend time looking through people's "perfect cast" lists, trying to imagine who would be perfect for every role. But when the actual cast list was released, I was less than pleased. I had no idea who Jennifer Lawrence was and had never seen her in anything. Liam Hemsworth was forever burned in my mind as being in the God awful Last Song with Miley Cyrus, and I wasn't sure I would forgive him for it. I barely remembered Josh Hutcherson from The Bridge to Teribithia. I was not convinced, not at all. And when the teaser trailer was released, it was worse.

Tonight, however, made the movie version of the Hunger Games redeem itself in my eyes. I kept seeing gifs of the legit trailer on Tumblr, but I hadn't found the actual trailer anywhere. Then when I finally did, it was just complete magic. Every single scene was scintillating, the actors made the characters seem perfect, just like how I imagined them in the mere 2 minutes and 36 seconds of a trailer. I actually almost cried when I saw Katniss step in for Prim, and when I saw Gale carrying away a crying Prim. I had goosebumps and tears in my eyes for the entire 2 minutes and 36 seconds. It was incredible. I was ecstatic.

And now, here I am, rambling about the Hunger Games instead of writing my NaNoWriMo. Oops.

Word Count: 21, 111
Biggest accomplishment: making my 20,000th word be "guillotine"

Until next time
xx D

1 comment: