Saturday, November 12, 2011

Musicals and Junior High

Tonight was closing night of the musical I was in, Beauty and the Beast, and it was the last one I'll ever be in at the Junior High I'm currently at. It was sad, of course, as the ending of all shows are, and especially so because I wouldn't be in a musical at that school again. Mainly, it wasn't so much the school that I'll miss, but other things.
I'll miss sitting in the back hallway of the auditorium, doing homework and singing along with whatever song they were singing onstage.
I'll miss the mock "prayer circles" that my friend and I do either backstage or in the middle of the staircase, while everyone did a real prayer circle feet from us.
I'll miss the crappy girl's dressing room where half of the drawers won't open.
I'll miss playing Egyptian Rat Screw in the theatre room before shows, with about ten people crowded around a tiny desk, trying to slap into the game and screaming every time they missed something.
I'll miss blatantly defying my director's rules and talking backstage.
I'll miss helping my friend Geoff into his gigantic costumes and getting really frustrated because I couldn't do it properly.
I'll miss seeing my friends every day after school for extended periods of time.
I'll miss getting into a ridiculous costume.
I'll miss seeing my friends be absolutely hilarious onstage.
I'll miss pretending to help with mic check but actually just standing around and talking.
I'll miss watching my friend Rachel pin people into their costumes.
I'll miss dancing around during curtain call even though we were told not to.
I'll miss not being able to sit down anywhere because of my costume.
I'll miss performing on that stage.
I'm going to miss a lot of things about junior high, but that auditorium will be one of the biggest. Sure, I'm in both orchestra and choir, so I'll be able to perform on that stage several times before the year is over, and sure it's only November, but there's something about this night, something nostalgic, that is making me reminisce over these past three years, and miss so many things that I probably wouldn't miss otherwise. There's something so completely definite about this end that there's no way I will be able to shake the feeling that I'm missing something. It's something that people who haven't been in theatre or something of the sort before will never be able to understand. It's something that is unique to me and the people I enjoy being around. Now, I must go back to try to reach my word goal for the day on NaNoWriMo.
Until next time.
xx D

No comments:

Post a Comment