Tuesday, July 3, 2012

It was a year ago today

It was a year ago today that I sat down on my computer and was really pissed at my neighbors for doing fireworks before the fourth of July. I considered posting about it on Facebook but at that time there was still a character limit on Facebook posts. So of course my immediate thought was "I must blog about this." And thus this nonsense began.

((As a side note, my neighbors are actually blowing up fireworks right now and it's quite irritating. Seriously.))

I proceeded, in the month of July in 2011, to blog about the final Harry Potter movie. I don't want to think about that right now because if I do I'll cry, so we're going to move on. I still haven't read those posts, actually, because I don't want to cry right now.

((Seriously guys, can you not wait one more day to do your stinking fireworks? I promise it's not that hard. You can do it.))

On the second of August last year I got it in my mind that I should blog everyday and it would be fine and yeah, blogging everyday would be fun. I'll be the first to tell you that BEDAugust 2011 was one of the worst ideas that I had. It was some of the worst writing that I have ever done. I didn't realize that I could format posts so they weren't just unbroken walls of text, I didn't have anything interesting to talk about, and I just talked about the same uninteresting stuff over and over and over again. I was just a little pretentious newly fourteen year old who had a blog without an audience and thought that the world needed to hear what she had to say. And now I'm an almost fifteen year old who laughs at how pretentious she can be and who blogs because she knows that one day, she'll need to hear what she had to say.

((I don't even know my neighbors but I'm seriously thinking about going outside and saying something. I won't, but I'm thinking about it.))

I started this blog before I had a tumblr, before I had ever spoken to anyone on the internet that I didn't already know and when I was still afraid to let people see my face. BEDAugust 2011 was awful. But it was also brilliant. I figured out why every day was awesome. I wrote and I wrote and I wrote and I wrote and I improved and I documented the first few weeks of freshman year. One day I'll be happy that I documented the first bit and the last bit of freshman year. There's this lifestyle as a blogger that other people don't really have. Some people keep journals and some make scrapbooks but I share my life with the internet even though I'm the only one who reads it. And in three years after I've graduated and I want to remember freshman year or remember what I did in 2011 I'll be able to come to this silly little website and find it. That's kind of magical if you think about it.

((I think they stopped doing the fireworks but just as I typed that I heard popping noises. They're definitely still going. Good.))

A year ago I was a very different person with very different experiences. And now here I am taller, tanner, with slightly different hair, a slight starkid obsession, and so many new friends. This year hasn't been the greatest but it's definitely been life altering.

Until next time
xx D

No comments:

Post a Comment