Sunday, June 3, 2012

The Perks of Being a Wallflower

So remember that time that I neglected my blog for the entire month of May? No? Neither do I. So a lot has happened in the last month that I'll write about at some point but that's not what I want to talk about today. Right now I want to talk about The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

I first read this book in probably the month of November or December this past year. There were a lot of things that bothered me about it but in the end it was honest and it was real and it was good. And I liked it an awful lot. I read it mainly because I heard there would be a movie based on it starring Emma Watson and Logan Lerman, and I always read books before I see the movies. Now fast forward six or so months to today. Tonight the trailer for this movie was premiered at the MTV movie awards or something. I didn't watch those. I watched the trailer via Tumblr. And oh my God.

This book is written entirely in letters from the character Charlie (Logan Lerman) to an unknown source, referred to as "friend." I was skeptical as to how they would incorporate those letters and that feel to the book into the movie, because that's a hard thing to do. I still am skeptical, but the trailer managed to work one of the book's most quoted lines into a voice over and the scene was beautiful and I got chills.
"In that moment I swear we were infinite." 

I've talked a lot about how I feel about movie adaptations of books and this is one that I especially hope doesn't get screwed up. Not because I loved the book that much, but because if this book loses the honesty and the reality it has in translation then it won't be what it is. And that sucks. This book really deserves to have a good movie adaptation and I hope it gets it.

We'll see when the movie comes out, I suppose. You better bet I'll blog about it

Until next time
xx D

No comments:

Post a Comment