Thursday, August 11, 2011

BEDA: Day 11

I will always remember 2011 as the year of firsts. I know, it's only August, but I've had so many firsts so far this year. I went to my first book signing, where I had Sarah Dessen sign a copy of my sister's book to my name. I went to my first concert, then saw one of my favorite bands live. I watched my first vlogbrothers video, which subsequently changed my life. I read Looking For Alaska for the first time, and spent a good portion of time by myself, bawling in my bedroom. I made my YouTube channel, and uploaded my first video which was like a 16 second video response to Kristina Horner's thank JK Rowling video. I created this blog, without knowing anything about blogging, then started BEDA for the first time a month later. I got obsessed with YouTube. I played on a basketball team for the first time, and lost miserably. I realized for the first time that my best friend and I would probably never be friends again. I went to my first midnight movie premiere with that friend. I listened to my first wizard rock song. I stayed up until four in the morning, live blogging my attempt to get into Pottermore on a Facebook fan page that I'm the admin of. I'm looking forward to doing NaNoWriMo for the first time this November. And I'm excited for all of the firsts I'll come to experience in the rest of the year. Hopefully I'll get to see John Green this next January when he tours for his new book. I hope to get my first real role in a school musical.

So why am I sitting here at 11:08 at night talking about firsts when I had a perfectly good blog post for today already written? Tonight I saw one of my favorite bands of all time live, which was my second concert ever. And the entire time I was thinking about how this was the first time I had done that, which led to me thinking of all of the other firsts I've had this year. Sure, I've never had my first kiss, but some of these things are so much better than I could even imagine. Had I known on January 1st of 2011 that in the next year I would discover and become obsessed with vlogging, that I would prefer musicians that I've discovered through Youtube to regular musicians, that I would consider myself to be a proud Nerdfighter, I would think that that was crazy. Had I known that I would be teaching myself guitar or that I would have done something as crazy as attempting to blog every single day in the month of August, I wouldn't believe it. But here I am now, doing every one of those things, and I am more comfortable with myself than I have ever been in the past. I'm not sure who I have to thank for this, really. Whether it be my friend for posting a charlieissocoollike video on Facebook, Charlie for introducing me to vlogging and the vlogbrothers, or the vlogbrothers for making me realize that I am a nerd and I am proud of it, it's really all the same. I know who I am more than I ever have, and really, that's the best gift I could have been given over the course of this year. So sure, this was long, and sappy and probably one of the most coherent blogs I've ever posted. But it was everything that I desperately needed to say but never could before. Everything that none of my friends would understand. This is why I love blogging.

Until tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you've been having a good year so far. It's really hard to explain to real life friends, the importance the internet can have in your life, but Nerdfighters are awesome so internet friends can be really awesome too!

    ReplyDelete