Sunday, April 29, 2012

BEDA 29: I say like an awful lot

Today is awesome because One Tree Hill.

So there's this episode of One Tree Hill that, like, shows how one hour can change everything. And they like pair off and go and just hang out for an hour and have to talk about things that are on a list and then at the end they have to take a picture of each other.

I find this concept slightly fascinating, because in all of the schooling I've gone through it's generally about, you know, like straight academia and not so much about learning about the other people who are in your classes and stuff. Like, I know that most of the people in most of my classes have no idea who I am and if they do, they still don't really know who I am. And I don't really know any of them either, though I know most of their names. (Not a stalker, just on yearbook.)

It seems really strange for these kids in this high school to have an entire class period dedicated to getting to know someone else, but at the same time, I really wish that one of my classes would have that. Because I know that I'd like to get to know people better, even if I wouldn't like them to get to know me better, exactly. But the school that I go to really only seems to care about tests at this point. Everyone has to pass the standardized tests at the end of the year or, not only will we fail the class, the school will look bad. It gets frustrating at a point to know that these teachers really seem to only care about test scores. I really like to write, for example, but my English teacher doesn't read anything that she makes us write, so I don't know how to get better at it. I know that they do care about us in some capacity, but I wish that they would care for more than test scores. None of my teachers really know me because I'm not popular or loud and they just don't care to. I understand that they have a lot of classes and a lot of students, but to just take the time to know my name without looking at the seating chart. Like, come on, I've been in school for 8 months. That's almost a baby. Plus also, I've been in an orchestra class for three years straight with the same teacher and he doesn't know me at all. And look how quickly that turned into a rant about school.

Back to this OTH thing. I realized yesterday that I'm friends with a lot of people but I hardly know anything about them. I mentioned having to slow dance with people, and these are three boys who I'm friends with, but we couldn't carry on a conversation for the length of a song. That really baffles me, to be honest. I just think that something like the tv thing wouldn't only be good for me, but for other people as well. I don't know, I just feel like I can't be the only one who feels the same way this kind of stuff, I know I can't. I just wish my teachers would realize it.

Until tomorrow
xx D

No comments:

Post a Comment