Tuesday, April 3, 2012

BEDA 3: Labels


Today is awesome because I have a fort in my room. Technically I constructed it yesterday, but it made today awesome.
(Everything I've tried to write in the past day has sounded pretentious and obnoxious and stupid, so this is what I'm giving you. I realize that it's pretentious-sounding. Also, sometimes I steal themes from sarcaschicks to write posts about. Whatever. Thanks.)

So, people in junior high tend to talk about how "popularity" isn't important and how it's great to be yourself. The people who say this, however, tend to either be teachers or popular kids. Now, I know that I'm not a "popular" kid by the conventional standards. But I have a close group of friends and people who care about me and that I can talk to, and those are the things that matter to me. I know that the popular kids do not like me for whatever reason, but I don't care.

Alright, I've never been one to put labels on myself. I've never considered myself a "jock" or a "prep," because I don't see myself as either of those things. I'm the one who loves books and is sometimes friendly. I prefer to sitting on Tumblr or watching One Tree Hill to going out with my friends. Because of that, people would call me a loner, but I'm not. People have this idea that they have to try to fit into a certain category. Whether it's what other people define them as, their Hogwarts house, or their Myers-Briggs Personality type. (For the record, I'm the weirdo, a Ravenpuff, and an ISTJ.) I can see how all of these things apply to me, but I don't like being tied down to those certain traits. The thing is, I know who I am. And I don't need different tests or other people's perceptions of me to define who I am. I'm perfectly aware that I will never be friends with people in my school who are considered "popular," because of the fact that I prefer sitting on Tumblr or writing to going out with friends. But that doesn't bother me. Unlike many people my age, I'm perfectly comfortable with who I am. There isn't a way that I'm going to change myself. I'm never going to stop being a lover of books. I'm never going to stop aspiring to be a writer, or making sarcastic remarks under my breath that people pretend not to hear. I'm never going to stop acting as smart as I am, even though I can sometimes come off a little pretentious and kind of obnoxious. I'm never going to stop being myself. And no amount of labels are going to change that.

The point is, I'm a Nerdfighter and a writer and a Potterhead and reader. But to put me in just those categories wouldn't show you who I really am. So many other people can identify with all four of these things, but that doesn't mean I'm like any of those people. I'm different and I'm okay with that.

Until tomorrow
xx D

No comments:

Post a Comment