Thursday, April 5, 2012

BEDA 5: On books into movies

Today is awesome because I found my old recorder.

From a young age, I've been an avid reader. I have read fantasy books and trashy teen novels and pretty much every other genre. But I've never been a "visual" reader. By that I mean that I don't picture things in my head when I read, so I can't say things like "oh I pictured her differently" when a movie is cast for a book I've read. It's weird, but I read mostly books told in the first person, so it's like I am the main character. I don't know, that's not really the point. The point is that when books are made into movies, I focus mostly on the details. And even there I'm not top nitpicky. I've sat through eight Harry Potter movies; I know everything can't be perfect.

When my friends and I saw The Hunger Games, they were all really put out by the fact that the Mockingjay pin wasn't given by Madge. Now, that's all fine and dandy for them; let them be put out by little details. But after a certain number of movie adaptations, you have to realize that things are gonna have to be different.

Two books that I really like are being released as movies in the next(?) year: The Great Gatsby and The Perks of Being a Wallflower. I'm extremely excited for both of these movies. Not only do I think that Carrey Mulligan and Emma Watson will be wonderful ad Daisy and Sam respectively, but I think it's really cool when books are made into movies. So many more people get to experience brilliant books that way, and there's something really cool about seeing something that you've only imagined in your head. Maybe it's just me, but I really enjoy it.

Until tomorrow

xx D

No comments:

Post a Comment